Salomon Bartnicki-Garcia Award
This award honors Dr. Salomon Bartnicki-Garcia and his many contributions to fungal cell biology. The award was established by contributions from several of Dr. Bartnicki-Garcia’s many colleagues and admirers, including a generous donation from Novozymes Inc. Through his over forty years of research in fungal biochemistry, cell structure, and theoretical biology, Professor Bartnicki-Garcia stands as the preeminent contributor to our understanding of the fungal cell, and he has been a major influence in the careers of numerous young scientists. The goal of this award is to encourage continued participation in MSA by young mycologists who are working in the areas of biochemistry, genetics, and cell biology.
Application deadline: February 15th before midnight Pacific Time.
Award Amount: $500.00
- Graduate and undergraduate students are eligible to apply.
- Undergraduate applicants must be carrying out senior honors research or its equivalent
- Applicants must be members of MSA or must have applied for membership at the time of the award application.
- Application form. Include a description of career goals under ‘additional information’ for the Award Committee.
- A curriculum vitae that includes at least (maximum 3 pages):
- Name, contact address, email address, and phone number
- Education and professional history (including career plans and a paragraph regarding training for the proposed work)
- Previous awards and honors
- Publications and other significant professional output if available
- Service if available
- A brief description of the research project, not to exceed one single-spaced page, explaining how the award will be used including a short budget description. Literature citations, if needed, should be included in the single page.
- A letter of support from the applicant’s major professor or mentor. For undergraduates, the letter should address the nature and promise of the applicant’s career goals. The reference letter should be sent directly by the individual writing the letter, not the applicant.
To apply: Complete the application form, being sure to include all required items listed above, in electronic format as a single PDF file. The application file should be organized in the same order as described in “Documents Required” and should not exceed more than 8MB. The file name should contain: the last name of the applicant-award name-Application (e.g. Smith-Salomon Application). Confidential letters of reference should be sent separately to: email@example.com. The letter of reference file name should contain: the last name of the applicant-award name-referee letter (e.g. Smith-Salomon-Jackson letter). The application will be considered to have arrived once all electronic files have been received prior to the deadline. All documents must be in English to be considered.
Note: Applicants can expect a notification email from the Awards Committee regarding the outcome of their application within approximately 45 days of the application deadline, in time to register for the annual MSA meeting. We expect all award winners to make every effort to attend the MSA annual meeting and encourage all applicants to concurrently apply for an MSA Travel Award in support of that. Presence at the MSA meeting to accept the award gives awardees the opportunity to meet the mycological community, and it gives MSA members an opportunity to meet the awardees.
Diversity Statement: MSA encourages and welcomes submissions by all individuals regardless of race and ethnicity, country of origin, sex, gender identity, religion, age, education level, socioeconomic status, marital status, parental status, physical ability, neurological differences, political affiliation, and sexual orientation. See full MSA Diversity statement here.
Indirect cost is not allowed on MSA awards.
- All awardees must provide a short biography (100-200 words) and a picture (if possible) within two weeks of notification. Please submit your bio and picture here. The biographies will be published in Inoculum.
- The award check must be deposited or cashed within 5 months.
- Each award recipient is required to fill out a W-9 form prior to receiving their award payment. (This only applies if you have a US Social Security Number.) You will be contacted by firstname.lastname@example.org with the details.
- Keep copies of your W-9 and all receipts and expenses that are part of this award. These documents are important and may be necessary for tax purposes.
- Each awardee will contribute a short report about their research to the MSA within a year of receiving their award. Part of the report may be published in Inoculum or on other MSA venues (e.g. MSA website). This will be a great opportunity to present your research to the MSA community. Reports should be submitted using the MSA Award Reporting Form.
- Please acknowledge MSA in any products that result from this support (e.g., poster presentations, oral presentations, and scientific articles).
See a list of past MSA Awardees.