Mentor Student Travel Awards
These awards are to be used for attending the Mycological Society of America annual meeting. The mentor awards are given in the names of some of our famous mycological forbearers, such as Constantine J. Alexopoulos, Howard E. Bigelow, Margret Barr Bigelow, Edward E. Butler, William C. Denison, R. L. Gilbertson, Richard P. Korf, Charles Kramer, Everett S. Luttrell, Orson & Hope Miller, A. Uecker, Harry D. Theirs, Ralph Emerson, Mel Fuller, Harold Whisler, James M. Trappe, H. M. Fitzpatrick, A.J.W. Barksdale, Kenneth Wells.
Application deadline: February 15th before midnight Pacific Time.
Award amount: $750
Requirements: Applicants must be:
- MSA student members or must have applied for membership at the time of the award application.
- Presenting a paper or poster at the meeting. Previous recipients may apply again; if applicant numbers are higher than the number of awards available, preference will be given to those who have won the award less than two times.
- Application Form. Please include information on any past Mentor Travel Award(s) under additional information for the award committee. If matching funds are available from the applicant’s institution, provide in the application form an email address that the committee can use to officially verify the receipt of an award.
- Abstract of paper or poster (note which one in the application form).
- A curriculum vitae that includes at least (maximum 3 pages):
a. Name, contact address, email address, and phone number
b. Education and professional history
c. Previous awards and honors
d. Publications and other significant professional output if available
e. Service if available
- A one-page description of the research project including an explanation of how this award will further the applicant’s research/study.
- A letter of support from the applicant’s major professor addressing the student’s abilities and potential and briefly summarizing the student’s current research. The reference letter should be sent directly by the individual writing the letter, not the applicant. To assist the judging committee in making Mentor “assignments” to award winners, inclusion of comments regarding which mentor(s) would be most appropriate for the student are welcome but not required.
To apply: Complete the application form, being sure to include and attach all required documents listed above. The application file should be organized in the same order as described in “Documents Required” and should not exceed more than 8 MB. The file name should contain: the last name of the applicant -“award name” Application (e.g. Smith-Travel Application). Confidential letters of reference should be sent separately to: firstname.lastname@example.org. The letter of reference file name should contain: the last name of the applicant-award name-referee letter (e.g. Smith-Travel-Jackson Letter). The application will be considered to have arrived once all electronic files have been received by the deadline. All documents must be in English to be considered.
Note: Applicants can expect a notification email from the Awards Committee regarding the outcome of their application within approximately 45 days of the application deadline, in time to register for the annual MSA meeting.
Diversity Statement: MSA encourages and welcomes submissions by all individuals regardless of race and ethnicity, country of origin, sex, gender identity, religion, age, education level, socioeconomic status, marital status, parental status, physical ability, neurological differences, political affiliation, and sexual orientation. See full MSA Diversity Statement here.
VISA Application: Please consider that you may need a VISA to enter the United States. This application process can take up to six months (or more). You will need to apply for your VISA as early as possible once you know you will be attending the MSA conference, but no later than three months before you wish to enter the United States. Check the US Department of State website for wait times for a scheduled interview at your nearest US Embassy or consulate. MSA conference organizers can provide invitation letters for awardees that can be presented at a US Embassy interview, but MSA travel funds will have to be returned to the MSA if the awardee does not receive a VISA in time to attend the conference. The MSA cannot advocate directly on behalf of an individual to any US Embassy.
- All awardees must provide a short biography (100-200 words) and a picture (if possible) within two weeks of notification. Please submit your bio and picture here. The biographies will be published in Inoculum.
- The award check must be deposited or cashed within 5 months.
- Each award recipient is required to fill out a W-9 form prior to receiving their award payment. (This only applies if you have a US Social Security Number.) You will be contacted by email@example.com with the details.
- Keep copies of your W-9 and all receipts and expenses that are part of this award. These documents are important and may be necessary for tax purposes.
- Please acknowledge MSA in any products that result from this support (e.g., poster presentations, oral presentations, and scientific articles).
See a list of past MSA awardees