International Travel Award
The International Travel Award is not available in 2020
These awards were to be used for travel to IMC11.
The Mycological Society of America supported new faculty and postdocs with travel awards to attend the 2018 International Mycological Congress in San Juan, Puerto Rico from July 16-21, 2018.
These travel awards supported new faculty and postdocs that are conducting research in the area of mycology (two types of awards: MSA members and not current MSA members). The goal of this award is to increase access for early- and mid-career mycologists who otherwise would not be able to participate in the International Mycological Congress.
Award amount: $1500 MSA Members, $2500 non-MSA members
Requirements: Applicants must be:
- Postdoctoral fellows or non-tenure or tenure track faculty that are conducting research in mycology
- Presenting a poster at IMC 11
- For applicants that are non-MSA members, preference will be given to early-to-mid career professionals from developing countries and underrepresented groups.
- Application Form. Please include information on any past International Travel Award(s)and provide an MSA membership number if you are a member. Include an email address the committee can use to officially verify the receipt of an award.
- Abstract of poster
- A curriculum vitae that includes at least (maximum 3 pages):
a. Name, contact address, email address, and phone number
b. Education and professional history
c. Previous awards and honors
d. Publications and other significant professional output if available
e. Service if applicable
- A one-page description of the research project including an explanation of how this award will further the applicant’s research/study.
- If the applicant is a post-doctoral fellow, a letter of support from the applicant’s major professor addressing the applicant’s abilities and potential and briefly
To apply: Send your application as a single electronic file in PDF format, containing all documents listed above to: firstname.lastname@example.org. The application file should be organized in the same order as described in “Documents Required” and should not exceed more than 8 MB. The file name should contain: the last name of the applicant -“award name” Application (e.g. Smith-IMC11Travel). Confidential letters of reference should be sent separately to: email@example.com. The letter of reference file name should contain: the last name of the applicant-award name-referee letter (e.g. Smith-IMC11-Jackson Letter). The application will be considered to have arrived once all electronic files have been received by the deadline. All documents must be in English to be considered.
Note: Applicants can expect a notification email from the International Committee regarding the outcome of their application within approximately 45 days of the application deadline.
Diversity Statement: MSA encourages and welcomes submissions by all individuals regardless of race and ethnicity, country of origin, sex, gender identity, religion, age, education level, socioeconomic status, marital status, parental status, physical ability, neurological differences, political affiliation, and sexual orientation. See full MSA Diversity statement here.
- All awardees must provide a short biography (100-200 words) and a photo (if possible) within two weeks of notification. Please submit your bio and photo here.
- The award check must be deposited or cashed within 5 months.
- Each award recipient is required to fill out a W-9 form prior to receiving their award payment. (This only applies if you have a US Social Security Number.) You will be contacted by firstname.lastname@example.org with the details.
- Keep copies of your W-9 and all receipts and expenses that are part of this award. These documents are important and may be necessary for tax purposes.
- Each awardee will contribute a short article about their research to MSA within a year of receiving the award. Part of the reports may be published in Inoculum or on other MSA venues (e.g. MSA website). This will be a great opportunity to promote your research to the MSA community. Reports should be submitted using the MSA Award Reporting Form.
- Please acknowledge MSA in any products that result from this support (e.g., poster presentations, oral presentations, and scientific articles).
See a list of past MSA awardees